Thursday, July 5, 2012

R.I.P. Andy Griffith

When people here ask where I'm from, I tell them Columbus, Ohio--though the truth is that my hometown was less the 1.8-million person Columbus metropolitan area than the village of my LDS ward. It was the people in Riverside Ward who surrounded me and set my expectations for life, who both served my family and provided us with opportunities to serve. It is their faces I remember when I think of "home."

So even if we live in big cities or their suburbs, I think all Latter-day Saints have some vested personal interest in seeing people talk about small communities with some respect. Because ridicule of small communities will easily spill over into ridicule of our way of life.

With that in mind, I wanted to share a link in Rod Dreher's recent meditation on Mayberry. I think many of the ideas he discusses speak to life in a ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails