Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Judging my book by its cover

After two summers of obsessive, consuming work, Nicole and I finished revising my book last night. It may still be a few weeks until it's publicly available--my copy editor is waiting with a list of missing and misplaced s's to correct, and I'll want to go carefully through the first printed proof before launching--but the book is essentially ready now.

I'm biased, of course, but I think it's really beautiful.

Which is why I'm so glad I commissioned Nick Stephens, an artist whose work I've admired, to create the cover: 


I love the way he's blended the two simple images of the Jordan river and the dove with the geometric texture of the background.

I hope my book has achieved something similar: to tell an important story simply, but with a texture based in underlying patterns that give meaning to the most mundane of moments--a bird swooping down over the water, a man breaking bread with his friends.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, what a cool cover and cool concept...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way excited for this. I'm going to buy multiple copies and give them away for Christmas. :)

    If it's available by Christmas, that is. If not... for whatever the closest legal holiday is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will be available by Christmas. And it would make a really good Christmas present.

      Delete
  3. Like! Will it be available in print and electronic, or just one or the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be available in both forms.

      And it will be fun to see what you think of the revision. Most of the changing are sentence-level tightening and evening out of the tone, but there are a few new scenes I think you'll really like.

      Delete
  4. You will have to let us know where we can buy it. I like amazon, because I always have a cart there ready to buy (when I feel rich enough) and am always signed in- but I'd be willing to purchase your book somewhere else too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails